Courses, Workshops, and Lectures
The Southport CoLAB offers a variety of opportunities for educators, parents and community members to engage in professional development, lectures and workshops. Below is a list of our current offerings. Check back often for new offerings.
- Universal Design for Learning: Meeting the Needs of All Learners
- Traveling the Road of the Writing Process with Educational Technology
- Getting Graphic: How to Use Visual Narratives in Supporting Comprehension
- Gleefully Graphical: Incorporating Educational Technology in Graphic Novel Instruction
- Games and Practical Strategies for Enhancing Executive Function in the Classroom
- From Start to Finish: Using Informal Assessments to Guide Structured Literacy Instruction
- Techniques for Enhancing the Writing Process
- Orton-Gillingham in the Private Sector: Navigating the Challenges of Private Practice
Not able to attend a session on the day specified? The Summer Series for Educators is now available On-Demand! A recording of the session will be available 2 days after the live session. View it when you like for 2 weeks after you receive the link. Looking for PD hours? Fill out a simple form after you have watched the workshop and receive a certificate. For more information or to register for an on-demand summer session course:
Virtual Summer Session courses are being offered to educators from title one schools for free. If you work in a title one school and would like to register for one or more of our workshops this summer please contact Suzanne Lang using your school email.
Interested in learning how to use educational technology to enhance your structured literacy lessons? The International Dyslexia Association (IDA) is now offering the session done by Theresa Collins & Sharon Plante, Technol-OGy: EdTech to Enhance Structured-Literacy Instruction for free! Watch it here.
If you are interested in our Free Reading Screenings you can learn more here.
In the event that The Southport School closes for weather or other unexpected events, class will be canceled. Under those circumstances, the instructor will contact trainees as soon as possible via e-mail or text; Southport’s closings are available on Facebook, Twitter, NBC-30, News-12, and CTWeather.com. For the most part, Southport follows Fairfield public schools for weather-related closings.